IJM Roving Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
The Irish Jesuit Missions (IJM) is a registered charity and the international outreach of the Irish Province of the Society of Jesus. We support Jesuit works in East Africa, Southern Africa, West Africa, Middle East, Cambodia and China. Our partners include Jesuit works and Jesuit run development projects within Jesuit Provinces and partners including Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS).
Key objectives of the role:
To support the IJM International Development Programme in monitoring, evaluation of its international grants and support IJM partners in order to meet donor compliance and better practice.
• To organise and facilitate monitoring visits with Irish Jesuit Missions (IJM) partners in receipt of funding, including the preparation and agreement of Terms of Reference with partners and the IJM in advance of each visit
• To prepare and submit monitoring and evaluation reports, including recommendations for follow up, to the IJM Operations Manager following each project visit, adhering to evaluation criteria agreed during the development of the Terms of Reference
• To follow up with IJM partners in a timely way on recommendations made within each Monitoring and Evaluation Report
• To arrange with IJM partners the necessary logistics for each monitoring and evaluation visit
• To prepare and agree a quarterly schedule with the IJM Operations Manager on proposed visits, prioritising partners in receipt of institutional funding
• To review relevant partner documents in advance of each project visit, including grant proposals, recent reports, evaluations, etc
• To review the financial reports of grants over €30,000 and conduct in-project/desktop audits on select transactions within each report
• To gather communications materials during each project visit, including photographs, beneficiary and staff stories of change and coordinate with the IJM Communications and Marketing team on materials
• To prepare one news post for each project visit which can be uploaded by the Communications and Marketing Team to the IJM social media (facebook, twitter, etc).
• To assist the IJM Operations Manager from time to time on other programme related duties.
• Over 10 years experience in the international development sector
• Bachelor Degree in Finance/International Development
• Experience working with missionary congregations/Diocese in developing countries
• Be willing to travel frequently in a roving role
• Be willing to be responsible for own work space on the days when not physically on a monitoring & evaluation visit at an IJM partner.
• Experience in overseeing institutional donor grants
• Experience in building capacity of local organisations in meeting institutional donor requirements
General terms and conditions
• Candidates will be vetted in accordance with the Society of Jesus Child Safeguarding Policy and must adhere to the guidelines and standards set within the policy and that of our partners during field visits.
• This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. The Irish Jesuit Missions reserves the right to change this document.